No Small Miracle

No Small Miracle
I'm on https here. I hope that's right. And before I try to add another song to my chronology slideshow, maybe I should share a few recently sparked memories around that last song post, Close Rendezvous. I wrote it from scratch, with the words coming last, and my first draft of it had it rhyming around a slightly different title, Grand Rendezvous. Then I thought it would be too Country and Western. I want it to fit in more with my space songs, so I kept working on the words until they sounded right.

I wonder if I'll end up rewriting that whole 'excellent' album. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze a few all new compositions between the old ones. As long as my recordings turn out well, I'm happy. I think C.R. is a good song to sit at the top of my YouTube videos because it's happy - in a bluesy sort of way. And I wanted that song to be sort of echoey and spacey, not too country and western, you know what I mean? Anyway, I must have prematurely shared it in 2007 and it was taken anyway.

I think my music has a good spirit because it is freely shared. The ones who stole it thought themselves clever for charging you all money for it, but I bet some of my free recordings are better than their commercial ones. And if I offered them freely the first time, then I should at least put them back freely. We'll see about making money from my work on the web once I'm totally into new songs.

A little extra note about hip-hop music, I'm not threatened by it at all. It's another genre that doesn't touch my music. I don't listen to it, myself, because I prefer the vocal to be singing, but I don't mind hearing it at a party or something like that. It seems to make a good background. I've known some nice people who write hip-hop, so I don't necessarily dislike the performers. But my music is more one on one, between the listener and myself. It's more intimate. I'm appealing more directly to each individual listener than I am to a whole crowd. My melodies help to distinguish each song and make it sound different from the last one, but with hip-hop, I can barely distinguish Paul Bernardo's rap from whatever hip-hop you're playing in your portable radio when you pass me in the street.

Of course, rock has its share of songs that are hard to tell apart from each other, but that was more when it was starting out as ritual dance music. It has since evolved into an exciting genre that offers much to the modern composer. It has grown more musical than its roots, and maybe hip-hop will eventually do the same.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2018. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

Comments